Griddled Sausage Hoagie with Marinara Mozzarella
This sandwich is like ordering from an old school Italian deli. Napkins not included.
Prep Time: 15 mins.
2 to 4 tablespoons of Cooking Oil
6 Farmland® Smoked Sausages, split in half
6 hot dog-style Pretzel Buns, or another favorite long buns
3 cups of Marinara Sauce, store-bought or homemade
12 slices of Low-Moisture Mozzarella
2 tablespoons of chopped Parsley
1/4 cup of Italian-Seasoned Breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 450°F or turn on broiler.
2. In cast iron skillet or other heavy-bottomed pan, heat 1 Tbsp. oil on medium-high; add as many sausages as can fit without crowding, cut-side down. Allow sausages to cook, flipping occasionally until golden brown and warmed through. Repeat until all sausages have been cooked.
3. On large cookie sheet, spread buns open, but try not to break them in half. Lay out 1 full sausage, cut-side up, on each bun.
4. Spoon about 1/2 cup marinara sauce onto each sausage, trying to get it on the sausage and not the bread. Lay 2 slices mozzarella cheese on top of the sauce.
5. Put cookie sheet in oven (or under broiler) until cheese has melted and has become golden brown and bubbly. (If using the broiler, keep a very close eye on it, so as not to burn the cheese.) Carefully remove from oven and garnish each layered side of the sandwich with some parsley and breadcrumbs.