- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Serves: 4 to 6
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper(s)
- 1/2 cup Farmland® Cubed Ham
- 1 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (14-oz.) cans chicken broth
- 1 lb. (30 - 40 ct.) frozen shrimp fully cooked and shelled
- 1 cup frozen, sliced okra
- 1/2 cup instant rice uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high until hot. Whisk in flour; continue stirring and cooking until flour has browned.
- Add onion, bell pepper and celery. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in ham, bay leaf, salt, pepper, cayenne, thyme and oregano. Slowly whisk in chicken broth; bring to a boil.
- Add shrimp, okra and rice. Boil rapidly for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.