Smoked Red Beans and Rice
- Prep Time: 5 hours
- Serves: 6
- 1 lb. dried red beans
- 3 lb. Farmland® Smoked Neck Bones
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cups cooked rice, warm
- Clean and soak red beans according to package directions.
- Place neck bones in stock pot. Cover with water; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours until meat falls off bones.
- Remove neck bones from pot, reserving stock. Cool slightly and remove meat from bones.
- Combine 6 cups neck bone stock, soaked red beans, neck bone meat and remaining ingredients in stock pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours until desired thickness.
- To serve, mash red beans with potato masher. Place 1 cup red beans in bowl; top with 1/2 cup warm rice. Salt and pepper to taste.