Steamship Picnic with Whiskey-Cola Glaze
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- 1 Farmland® ALL NATURAL* Steamship Picnic Roast
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- whole cloves
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 cups cola drink
- 3/4 cup whiskey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Heat oven to 300°F. Score entire picnic roast in diamond pattern with 1/2-inch-deep slices.
- Combine Creole seasoning, black pepper and cayenne. Rub evenly all over picnic. Insert 1 whole clove into pork where score lines intersect. Rub brown sugar evenly over entire roast, pressing into scored lines to stick. Place picnic roast, fat-side-up, on wire rack in 2-inch-deep roasting pan.
- Combine cola and whiskey; pour 2 cups into bottom of roasting pan. Bake picnic roast for 1 hour at 300°F.
- Continue baking, basting every 15 minutes with remaining cola-whiskey mixture until internal temperature reaches 155°F., approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Cover and let stand 30 minutes until internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- To make sauce, while picnic roast is resting, combine pan juices and any remaining cola-whiskey mixture in saucepan. Stir together cornstarch and water; whisk into drippings. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir continuously until desired thickness. Pour through strainer and serve over sliced pork.