Bacon Onion Rings with Chipotle Crema
Inspired by the Iowa State Fair and all the delicious foods to be found there – Farmland presents Crispy Bacon Battered Onion Rings served with a spicy chipotle crema.
Prep Time: 10 mins.
3 cups of Vegetable Oil
1 cup of Whole Milk
2 tablespoons of Bacon Fat
1 cup of All Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon of Smoked Paprika
6 slices of Farmland® Bacon, cooked and minced
2 large Vidalia onions, peeled, sliced into rings
Salt, to taste
1/2 cup of Sour Cream
1 cup of Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon of Lime Juice
3 Chipotle Peppers with adobo sauce, minced
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Combine all ingredients but seasonings, and season with salt and pepper. (Amount of chipotles can be adjusted to personal taste.)
2. Optional: Add a small amount of bacon rendering into the sauce for additional flavor.
1. In large heavy-bottomed pot, heat vegetable oil to 350°F.
2. In medium bowl, whisk milk, bacon fat, flour, baking powder and paprika until smooth.
3. Add minced bacon and stir to combine.
4. Dip onion rings into batter, covering completely. Carefully add to oil and cook in batches until golden brown.
5. Remove and season with salt.
6. Serve with Chipotle Crema.