Creamy Pasta Alfredo
This is one Alfredo recipe that's going to make your pasta pop.
Prep Time: 90 mins.
1 box of Dried Penne or similar
4 tablespoons of Unsalted Butter, divided
1 cup of Farmland® Diced Ham
1 cup of diced Onion
1 cup of diced Red Bell Pepper
1 clove of Garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 to 2 cups of Whole Milk
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 cup of grated Parmesan Cheese
1. Cook pasta in salted boiling water, according to package directions. When pasta has finished cooking to al dente, strain it and set it aside.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat 1 Tbsp. butter on high in heavy-bottomed, high-sided pan; add ham and cook, stirring, until lightly browned.
3. Add onions to pan and lower heat to medium. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes; then add red peppers. Continue to cook until onions and peppers are soft; then add garlic and cook for another minute or two.
4. Add remaining 3 Tbsp. butter to pan; when butter has melted, add flour, stirring, until flour is fully saturated and there are no lumps of flour remaining (if necessary, add a little bit more butter).
5. Add milk to pan slowly, stirring as you go, and allow it to cook another 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
6. To serve, portion pasta into 6 plates or bowls. Cover with sauce, and finish with grated Parmesan cheese.