Irish Hot Pot
Celebrate St. Patrick's Day with this traditional Irish dish. It will bring all the luck to your party!
4 1/2 pounds of potatoes
2 large onions, peeled and sliced thick
16 oz. of Farmland® Hickory Smoked Sausage
16 oz. of Farmland® Hickory Smoked Bacon, Classic Cut
2 cups of water
1 ham stock cube (may substitute with beef or chicken cube)
3 - 4 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
Salt, to season
Coarse-ground pepper, to season
1) Boil the water and dissolve the bouillon cube.
2) Peel the potatoes. Cut large ones into three or four pieces and leave smaller ones whole.
3) Finely chop the parsley.
4) Grill or broil the sausages and bacon long enough to color them. Drain briefly on paper towels. When drained, chop the bacon into one-inch pieces. If you like, chop the sausages into large pieces as well.
5) Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
6) In a large flameproof heavy pot with a tight lid, start layering the ingredients: onions, bacon, sausages or sausage pieces, potatoes. Season each layer liberally with fresh-ground pepper and the chopped fresh parsley. Continue until the ingredients are used up.
7) Pour the bouillon mixture over the top. On the stove, bring the liquid to a light boil for a few minutes until the color is brought out in sausage and bacon. Once the color has been brought out, immediately turn the heat off and cover the pot.
8) Put the covered pot in the oven and cook for at least three hours. At the two-hour point, check the pot and add more water if necessary. There should always be about an inch of liquid at the bottom of the pot.
9) After completed, serve and enjoy.