Sausage Stuffed Cabbage with Lentils and Fennel
A classic comfort dish just like mom used to make, with lots of TLC and savory sausage flavor.
8 oz. of Farmland® Original Pork Sausage
1 Small Yellow Onion, sliced thinly
2 cloves of Garlic, sliced
1 Medium Red Bell Pepper, diced
1 Carrot, diced
1 stalk of Celery, diced
1 tablespoon of Hot Sauce
1 cup of Tomato Puree
1 cup of Cooked Rice
1 tablespoon of Fresh Parsley, chopped
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 head of Cabbage, cored, leaves separated and blanched until soft
2 cups of Black Lentils, cooked but not mushy (make sure lentils have plenty of broth)
2 bulbs of Fennel, tops removed and saved
1 tablespoon of Kosher Salt
1 tablespoon of White Vinegar
1. In medium sauté pan, cook sausage until browned. Remove and reserve.
2. To pork fat, add onions, garlic, peppers, carrots and celery. Cook until soft and translucent.
3. Add hot sauce, tomato puree, rice, reserved sausage and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Working with one leaf of cabbage at a time, fill with sausage mixture and roll up to enclose.
5. To serve, place lentils in baking dish and top with stuffed cabbage. Bake in 350°F oven until warmed through. Garnish with Fennel Kraut and reserved fennel fronds.
1. Combine fennel, vinegar and salt in nonreactive container. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
2. Press down until covered with liquid and allow to sit overnight at room temperature. (Weigh down if necessary to submerge fennel completely.)