Smoky Mac & Cheese with Sausage
1 package of Farmland® Hickory Smoked Sausage Rope
3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
2 cups of whole milk, warmed
salt to taste
cayenne to taste
1 box of dried Gemelli pasta (cooked to al dente)
1/2 lb. of smoked mozzarella cheese (grated)
2 tablespoons of parsley (chopped)
1/4 cup of Italian-seasoned bread crumbs (optional)
1. Cut Hickory Smoked Sausage Rope into 1” slices, then set aside
2. In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until roux is pale yellow color, about 1 minute.
3. Slowly whisk in milk; whisk continuously until liquid comes to boil and thickens. Reduce heat to simmer and continue to cook a couple minutes more. Add salt and cayenne, and taste for seasoning.
4. Stir in cheese and whisk until melted. Add in Farmland Smoked Sausage slices. Toss cooked pasta into pan with warmed cheese sauce, stirring to coat and warm pasta through.
5. Portion pasta and sausage onto 6 individual plates and garnish with chopped parsley. Top with seasoned bread crumbs for additional crunch if desired.