Spicy Ham and Bacon Chili
Tailgating 101. You need family, friends and Farmland. Check out this spicy bacon and ham chili recipe for a tailgating win.
Prep Time: 25 mins.
1 pound of Farmland® Hickory Smoked Classic Cut Bacon
1 package of Farmland® Cubed Ham
2 medium onions, chopped
1 large jalapeno, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons of fresh garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons of dried oregano
1/3 cup of chili powder
1 tablespoon of cumin
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 14 oz. can of beef broth
1 cup of brewed coffee
1 cup of water
1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
2 19 oz. cans of red kidney beans
salt and pepper to taste
shredded cheddar cheese
1. Cook the bacon in a large pot over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels.
2. Drain approximately half of the bacon grease from the pot.
3. Season the cubed ham with salt and pepper and add to the pot. Brown cubed ham on all sides, approximately 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
4. Add onion, garlic, oregano and jalapenos to the pot and saute until the onions are soft. Stir often for approximately 2 - 4 minutes.
5. Next, add into the pot, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper stirring for approximately 1 minute.
6. Return the browned cubed ham and bacon back to the pot.
7. Add in broth, coffee, water and tomatoes to the pot. Stir.
8. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally until cubed ham is tender.
9. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
10 Just before serving, add in beans and let sit to heat through for approximately 15 minutes.
11. Serve with sour cream, cheese and extra jalapenos. Enjoy.